Monday 19 May 2014

Digital Batik

I have been  told that I don't tell the world about the 'artist side of myself, enough.

Since very young I have been creating (pre-school if my mother can be believed). I graduated to oil paints, then to acrylics and found myself airbrushing in the 1980s. I was interested in manuscript painting and Indian miniatures, and after a trip to Rajasthan and buying some brushes from miniature painters I started painting in gouache. During the late 1990s and early 2000s I painted quite large gouache paintings, with lots of detail, but after my first experiments with Adobe Photoshop 4, and moving to Malaysia, I switched entirely to digital art.

From time to time I will post some of my digital art here, in preparation for a forthcoming exhibition of my work in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Digital Batik (1) 2007
Throughout my stay in Malaysia I have been fascinated with the country. I lived in rural Malaysia for almost 7 years, and while there made a great many digital creations from the countryside I saw around me. With Digital Batik, I wanted to recreate the idea of batik, something synonymous with and representing Malaysian design. Using a variety of digital software, and photographs I took from my surroundings I created this image, which is one in a series. Printed, this series is about 20 inches tall, though originally they were not made to be printed but to be shown on digital screens.

No comments: